Otto and Emma Hartung opened a
bakery on Sycamore Street in Lakeside about 1914. Charles and Lola Cole
managed the store. At that time the bakery products were baked by the
Hartungs at their bakery on 5th Avenue in San Diego and shipped daily to
Lakeside on the railroad. In 1915
the sold the San Diego Bakery, had a brick oven built in back of the
Sycamore Street Bakery and built a roomy and comfortable tent house next
door and moved to Lakeside.
In 1918 Samuel and Susie Dent
bought the bakery. At this time they they were also running a bakery at
Main and Magnolia in El Cajon.
A house and garage was built in
1925 next door to the bakery on Sycamore Street. A Mexican Restaurant
now occupies the old bakery building. The house and the old brick oven
may be seen on Lakeshore Drive across from Leo's Pharmacy.