Levi Chase bought 3,000
acres in Tract B of Rancho El Cajon (now Lakeside Farms, Eucalyptus
Hills) in 1874 and sold to Martha A. Wells that same year.
Henry Fellows bought the property
in 1875 and built a home on Palm Row and Oak Creek Drive. He lived there
until 1883, at which time he sold to James H. Benedict. From 1884 to
1886 the owner was Joseph H. Smith. The following year it was occupied
by Joseph Winchester, who sold it in 1887 to Will Ferry.
Ferry sold 2,000 acres to a land
company headed by Mr. Meyers, who built his home on Oak Creek Drive in
When Will died, his brother John
and his family moved into the house and lived there until John Ferry
became County Recorder in 1906. After which, they moved to San Diego.
The ranch was leased to William Inman, father of Mrs. Wallace Phillips,
and to Ralph Gibbs, his son-in-law. In 1909, John Ferry's 1,000 acres
were sold and subdivided into Lakeside Farms.
From 1909 to 1912 the property was
owned by Mr. and Mrs. Wilber, who then sold it to A. W. Johnson. Arthur
W. Johnson married Amber Ansler in National City on August 17, 1903.
They moved to Oregon until 1906 when he returned to work for the
Spreckles Company until 1912. At that time he bought the John Ferry
Ranch and planted the first orchard of J. H. Hale peaches in San Diego
County. He was later known as "Peach" Johnson. Mrs. Johnson
died in 1936, and Mr. Johnson died on May 30, 1944. E. T. Guyman, Jr.
purchased the ranch the same year.
more than a century after it was built,
the beautiful old ranch house and its real estate has fallen victim to
the encroaching suburban sprawl that threatens the "small
town" atmosphere that all Lakeside residents still enjoy (to some
extent). No longer from the porch of this home will a sunset be seen
with the sweet ambrosia of peach blossoms floating on the warm Spring
air. Never again will this home hear the crow of a rooster at sunrise,
nor the plaintive winnie of a horse at feeding time.