Lemon Crest Ranch c.1901
Built in 1886 by Mr. Klein, Lemon Crest Ranch house
has grown older gracefully and is as lovely today as it was when built.
The 50 acres which Mr. Klein bought were cleared of sage brush and
cactus, and terraced for the 50 acres of lemon orchard which was planted
about that same time. Approximately 10 acres surrounding the house were
reserved for the family gardens and were landscaped by Kate Sessions,
who at that time was a promising young landscape architect. Irving Gill
designed the house.
The Klein family named their place "La Colina," meaning 'The
Hill', and lived there until 1918 when it was sold to Mrs. Verring. To
the estate she added the large barn, a house of her foreman, and the
building identified as the wash house.
Lakeside & Inn
from Klein home (postcard) c.1905
In June, 1927, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert from
assumed the property and cared for it
for six months at which time it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Charles
Lindsay. The Lindsay's were then living in
and for business reasons could not move
to La Colina, so arrangements were made with Mrs. Lindsay's brother, E.
H. Foster and family, to care for the property.
1929, the Lindsay family moved to
and shortly thereafter, at the suggestion of George Lindsay, the ranch
was re-named “Lemon Crest.”
Lindsays had all the buildings repainted and re-roofed, and in the big
house, hardwood floors were laid throughout, and the kitchen modernized.
Alice Lindsay c.unknown
orchard required constant irrigation which placed a tremendous strain on
the available water supply. Mr. Lindsay bought from Mr. Mansure the well
which had belonged to the Lakeside Inn, and a right-of-way across a
neighboring field was also obtained, which supplied ample water for the
Mr. and Mrs. Lindsay sold half of the property, without any buildings,
to Mr. Lindsay's mother, Mrs. Annie Mitchell. She later gave title of
this section to her son Allen G. Mitchell, who worked that section of
the orchard for several years. During the winter months, to protect the
trees from freezing weather, smudge pots were lit, and the entire hill
seemed to be on fire.
George returned to
in 1945, after serving overseas with the Army Air Force. He restored
Lemon Crest to its original size by buying back Mr. Mitchell's portion.
He built a redwood house on the north edge of the ranch, as well as a
swimming pool. This place was occupied by Bob Sloan, who worked on the
ranch, with his two sons, Charles and John.
Lemon Crest home c.1950s
The south 20 acres of the property were subdivided in 1948 and sold off
in not less than acre plots. Charles Lindsay died in 1946. In 1950, the
remaining portion of the ranch was sold to Homer Whited of
San Diego, who did not live in the house. Early in
1951 he sold to Arthur Curtis, a hotel man of San Diego
Another Lindsay son, Les, and his wife, Martha, and three children,
Jean, Janet and Jack, were also residents of
for several years. They purchased the 20 acre Bill Sinclair Ranch in Lakeside
in 1946. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lindsay's
daughter, Mrs. Flemming, resided in Riverside
and Mrs. George McClain bought the property and moved into the house in
October of 1952. George died in 1984.
to Index -