The Windmill House stands on part of the smallest Mexican Land
grant recorded in California. The tract contained 28.39 acres, and was
called Cañada de Los Coches, because it was used as grazing ground for
the Mission hogs. The Windmill House is on 11 acres in the middle of the
grant. The grant was originally made in 1834 to Apolinaria Lorenzana who
was a Mexican woman who came to San Diego in 1800 aboard an orphan ship.
She was one of 11 who were left by the Mexican government in San Diego
for adoption by the less than 2% white population.
History has overlooked all of those orphans except Apolinaria
Lorenzana. She was well-known throughout Alta California as La Beta,
closely allied with the Missions, and was a Godmother to Spanish
children. Her name, Lorenzana, was given to all the foundlings sent here
in 1800. It was the surname of the bishop of Mexico who sent them to the