the Cuyamaca-Eastern Railroad line was extended from Lakeside to Foster
in 1892, the settlement aroundFoster’s Ranch grew and in 1893 was
granted a post office with Angel M. Corona as Postmaster. The town of
Foster was about 3 miles north of Lakeside. The Foster school lapsed
July 3, 1895 when many families moved away.
8, 1913: 15 families living within the school boundaries, with school
age children and residing at a greater distance than two miles by a
traveled road from the school house, petitioned the County
Superintendent of Schools for the reformation of the school district to
be known as Foster School District.
signed petition indicates some pupils lived 6 1/4 and 6 1/8 miles from
the school. There were 27 children over
five years of age and under 17 years of age, and six children
under five years of age.
a hearing the petition was granted and the Foster School District was
reformed February 10, 1913. The district was created from territory from
Poway, El Capitan and Lakeside School Districts. The old homesteader’s
school building was torn down and a new building was built in the same
school lapsed again in 1925 when the last two pupils graduated. All the
families had moved out after the City of San Diego purchased a large
area of land for the San Vicente Dam site. During the years of
1924-1925 and 1925-1926 the pupils of the Foster District were
educated at Lakeside Grammar School. Foster School district was admitted
to the Lakeside Union School district February 20, 1928.
second schoolhouse was bought by Harold Laws, a member of the Foster
School Board, and moved to his lot on Orange Street (now Castle Court
Drive) in Lakeside. The site of the old school is now covered by the
waters of the San Vicente Dam. As of 2011, the home remains as an