There were other small schools before the Grammar
School was built. From 1890 until 1902 there was a school at Barona
located just west of the present Tribal office and recreation center.
Chris Duranga and Earl Fankhanel were among the students that attended
school there. Another school existed at Capitan Grande Reservation, but
was torn down in the early 30's. Mrs. Blatner was a teacher there.
By 1936, population increase
warranted the construction of a new building with eight classrooms, a
cafeteria and office. In 1939 the first kindergarten was established
with Mrs. Lenore Yakel, teacher. 1949 saw the first phase of Lindo Park
construction with an addition in 1952. The next years were a period of
rapid growth and called for increasing schools. In 1956 Lakeside Farms
was built followed by Riverview School in 1957. Eucalyptus Hills in 1961
and Winter Gardens in 1964. In 1972 Tierra del Sol, the second Junior
High School was started and for the next three years Lakeside School
experienced year- round schooling.