were three ranches in our area: El Cajon, Los Coches and San Vicente.
The El Cajon Rancho was given out in 1845. The area it covered was about
48,800 acres. It was made up of what is now Lakeside, El Cajon, Bostonia,
Santee and Flinn Springs.
smallest land grant, Rancho de la Canada de Los Coches (Glen of the
Hogs), 28.37 acres, was completely surrounded by El Cajon Rancho. The
Los Coches area had been in the hands of the mission Padres for many
years and it was used as a grazing ground for the mission hogs. The
property was sold several times and eventually sold in 1859 to Dona
Perfecta and her husband Jesse Julian Ames.
Jesse Ames courted Perfecta Espinosa of Old Town for 17 years and in
1838 they were married at the San Diego Mission. It was a big
celebration and all the business were closed so all the residents of Old
Town could attend the wedding. At the age of 56 (1859) he moved his
family including eight children to the 28 acres on the Los Coches
with the help of his Indian friends he built an adobe home with several
rooms near the Los Coches Creek. The Indians taught the family members
how to select nuts and fruits that were edible and how to cook them.
Julian Jessie raised cattle and sheep, grew corn and raised vegetables.
He also had the first stone mill to grind corn and wheat which he grew
in the El Cajon Valley.
1866 when Perfecta was to have her tenth child, Julian went to San Diego
to get the doctor, and on the return trip his wagon wheel became stuck
in the mud. When Julian attempted to lift the wagon wheel he fell over
dead. Perfecta continued to operate the ranch until 1888. When the Ames
family was no longer using the original adobe house the home was offered
to be used as the first school in the area.
AMES ADOBE was a school for a year and a half. Verification of the adobe
school was made when at a family reunion the Ames decedents recalled the
stories they heard about the home being used as a school because the
area did not have a school district at that time. No school records have
been found. Most information about the Ames Adobe is found in "Flossie’s
were also told that Julian Jessie had hidden money in the adobe house.
People came and tore down the house looking but not finding any money.
The ranch was heavily mortgaged and any hidden money had been removed to
keep the family on the ranch.
were ten Ames children and many decedents. One girl named Mary was
married to James Flinn in 1874. Another daughter married Jose Machado
and lived in Lakeside. The youngest child was Nievas and she also lived
in Lakeside. In 2011 there are Ames families living in Lakeside, north
county and south bay.
Lakeview School c.1910
5, 1895 the Lakeview Grammar School District was formed by action of the
San Diego Board of Supervisors. The Lakeview School was built and opened
September 30, 1895. The enrollment at this time was 15 pupils, 13 in
primary and 2 in upper grades, the teacher was Maude Allen, age 23. The
school had one large classroom, a library room and a cloak room. The
trustees were: D. F. Harbison, L. V. Hoover and D. S. Watson.
Hoover was born 1883 in Nebraska and came to Lakeside in 1895. As a
young boy he attended the newly built Lakeview Grammar School.
Elizabeth, his wife, came to Lakeside in 1902 and attended the Lakeview
School 4th through the 8th grades. Wellington and Elizabeth married and
raised fourteen children. All of the children attended Lakeview and
Hoover became the bus driver to take children from the Lakeview area to
school. The amount he was paid varied as to the number trips taken and
the number of pupils in each trip.
motorized vehicles arrived for transporting students, George Gibson
recalls riding in Beaker's School Bus with its cloth top flapping in the
wind, and the frequent breakdowns. Wellington Hoover transported many
students from the Lakeview area.
3, 1920 El Cajon, Hillsdale, Jamacha, El Capitan and Meridian School
Districts united in forming the El Cajon Union School District. The
Lakeview School closed when the district voted to join the El Cajon
Union School District July 18, 1923. At this time the Lakeview School
had an enrollment of 15 pupils and the district extended down to Orange
Street (Castle Court Dr.) on the north boundary.
majority of the Lakeview parents wanted to send their children to the
Lakeside Grammar School even though they lived in the El Cajon Union
School District. As the old laws were not rigid enough to force them to
go to El Cajon most of the children came to the Lakeside Grammar School.
new law was more rigid and obligatory that children must go to school
within their districts. Both school boards must agree in order to allow
the Lakeview children to attend Lakeside instead of El Cajon. So the
Lakeview School District was divided. All children on the north side of
Highway 80 attended Lakeside Grammar School and those on the south side
of Highway 80 attended the El Cajon School. Lakeview School closed in
to Schools -