Welcome to a tour of American History.We begin our history tour of with a photo gallery of Old West Photos (To view larger images, click the photo. Use the “Escape” key to exit.)
One hundred and one years ago. What a difference a century makes!Here are some statistics for the Year 1909:
- The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
- Fuel for this car was sold in drug stores only.
- Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
- Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
- There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
- The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower !
- The average US wage in 1909 was 22 cents per hour.
- The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year ..
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
- A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
- More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .
- Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
- Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as ‘substandard.’
- Sugar cost four cents a pound.
- Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
- Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
- The American flag had 45 stars ….
- The population of Las Vegas , Nevada , was only 30!!!!
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.
- There was no Mother’s Day or Father’s Day.
- Two out of every 10 adults couldn’t read or write
- Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school..
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
- Back then pharmacists said, ‘Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health’ (Shocking? DUH!)
- Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help …..
- There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !
The Five leading causes of death were:1. Pneumonia and influenza 2. Tuberculosis 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke Plus one more sad thought …. 95 percent of the taxes we have now did not exist in 1909.. Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years. IT STAGGERS THE MIND
Niagara FallsIn the history of Niagara Falls, the first recorded freezing occurred. Margaret writes: Her mother had a cousin living in Niagara Falls that year. She told the family that she and her neighbors woke up in the night feeling something was wrong. It took a while but they finally realized that it was the lack of noise. They had all become so used to the roar of the falls that the silence was unusual enough to alert their senses. Of course at that time nearly all the houses were near the falls. Amazing pictures! 100 years old. Can you imagine walking on Niagara Falls! (To view larger images, click the photo. Use the “Escape” key to exit.)
Power Point Presentation of the 1920sComing Soon!