WE ARE OPEN!
As you can see, we’ve put together a bold plan. We don’t yet have all the details, but as these events approach, we will advise our membership. We are all excited to get back to seeing each other and doing the things we have come to enjoy about the Lakeside Historical Society.
GIFT SHOP, MUSEUM & ARCHIVES
OPEN: Tues-Thurs, Sat: 10am—1pm
CLOSED: Sun, Mon, Fri
PLEASE NOTE: Visitors to the Archives will be limited to only a few at a time. You may have to wait before being allowed entry. Consider an appointment by calling LHS at (619) 561-1886 the Tuesday before you wish to arrive.
September 2023 Newsletter
Meetings & events held at LHS History Center unless noted
Friday, September 1, 2023 – BETTY’S 2nd ANNUAL BOOGIE BOARD PARTY (10:15AM)
- The Second Annual “Betty’s Boogie Board Party” is scheduled for Friday, September 1, 2023 at Mission Beach, just south of the roller coaster.
- Either meet us at the beach or we can carpool from LHS (meet up at LHS by 9:30 am and plan to leave by 9:45 – we want to arrive at the beach by 10:15). Everyone is invited!
- There’s a giant parking lot. Please bring your own food, drinks, boogie board, chair, shade, towel, beach blanket, and anything else you think you may need.
- No need to RSVP, just show up so we can sit on the beach together and talk about our awesome Betty McMillen and enjoy the sun, sand and camaraderie of like-minded friends and volunteers.
Thursday, September 7, 2023 – LHS Museum Committee Meeting (10AM)
- Maine Avenue Revitalization Association presents Lakeside 9-11 Memorial Walk
- Meet at Mary’s Donuts (6PM); Walk starts at 6:15PM
- Lakeside Historical Society Showtime (6:30PM)
Thursday, September 14, 2023 – LHS Board of Directors Meeting (10AM)
Tuesday, September 26, 2023 – GENERAL MEETING & Chicken Pot-Pie Dinner (6PM)
- History Presentation by Lakeside Unified School District (LUSD) Superintentdent Rhonda Taylor on the history of our Lakeside Schools – Honoring the 100th Anniversary of LUSD
- Olde Community Church – 9906 Maine Avenue, Lakeside CA
- Donation: $15 per person
- RSVP by September 1st – Call 619-561-1886
Coming in October 2023
Thursday, October 5, 2023 – LHS Museum Commitee Meeting (10AM)
Thursday, October 12, 2023 – LHS Board of Directors Meeting (10AM)
Saturday, October 21, 2023 – Heritage Day (11AM)
Tuesday, October 31, 2023 – Trick or Treat on Maine Avenue (5PM)
Please review LHS Bylaws (updated May 28, 2022).
For only $50.00, you can have your family name, special date, memorial, or business name embossed on a standard size red brick and placed in the Lakeside Historical Society’s Memory Walk, located in front of the History Center.
The bricks are red with BLOCK STYLE black lettering.
click link to download form
LHS Books For Sale
We’ve added a new book to our offerings – Tales of the El Monte Valley.
Pioneers of Lakeside Series – History told by those who lived it.
Written by Joseph Head
Foreward by Allene Head Savage
Introduction by Billy Ortiz
Edited by Gary E. Mitrovich
To order your copy please use our Book Order Form.
Honoring the Ladies of Lakeside, California – read more in the January 2021 newsletter.
View LAKESIDE HISTORICAL SOCIETY Videos on Facebook
View Billy Ortiz LEGENDS OF LAKESIDE Video Archive on Facebook
Historic Self Guided Walking Tour
Visit the Newsletter Archive to read our latest newsletter or browse earlier editions.
LHS MEMBERSHIP FEES REMINDER
Please help us continue to preserve and share the history of Lakeside. Click here for the LHS Membership Form.
Call us at (619) 561-1886 if you have any questions. We appreciate your support!
New to Lakeside? Welcome!
Lakeside, CA became a town site in 1886 as a tourist destination with the building of the Lakeside Inn that advertised boating, hunting, fishing and just plain old relaxing. From it’s flashy beginning to the beautiful town it is today, Lakeside was, and will continue to be, “A Friendly Place to Live.”
The Lakeside Historical Society was founded in 1972 and is dedicated to the preservation and education of Lakeside’s diverse history. We are located on the corner of Maine Ave. and Parkside St. in the lovingly restored 19th century Olde Community Church of Lakeside.
Please take the time to leisurely browse through our ever growing online collection of histories and rare images of this beautiful town. When you come to town, stop by and take a tour of the Olde Community Church, browse our store.
Join our society!
LHS Annual Membership Fees
$20 per person/individual; $35 per family; $50 per business/organization;
$200 per person for Lifetime; $500 per business for Lifetime
Did you know we welcomed 13 new Lifetime Members in 2021?
Please contact us with questions or suggestions.